We Fix Masonry Damage
We rely on our fireplaces and chimneys to keep our homes warm and comfortable year after year. Unfortunately, damage, overuse, lack of maintenance, or simple wear and tear can cause damage to the bricks and mortar of your chimney system. If your chimney’s masonry is damaged, it is critical to have it repaired quickly so your fireplace can burn safely.
What Causes Masonry Damage?
Even though masonry is a strong building material that is meant to stand up to both time and the elements, it is not immune to damage. There is more than one cause of masonry damage; because of this, an inspection by a certified chimney sweep may be needed to identify the cause of your chimney’s damage. The following are three common causes of masonry damage.
- Water entry. Bricks and mortar are exposed to water from the elements in the form of rain, ice, sleet, and snow as well as our sprinklers and hoses. Because water is semi-porous, any cracks, holes, or chips in the surface of the masonry – no matter how small – can allow water to be absorbed. This water entry and damage can worsen over time, leading to cracked and spalling masonry or even structural damage.
- Settling. While more prevalent in newer construction, settling can happen to houses of any age. If a chimney is not built of proper footings, settling can damage to the fireplace and chimney. Masonry damage from settling often causes the bricks of the firebox to crack; this creates a serious safety hazard as heat, gas, and smoke can escape from the firebox and affect surrounding building materials.
- Other causes of damage. There are many other ways that your chimney’s masonry can be damaged. Painting the chimney with a latex paint, power washing the chimney, growing climbing plants against the chimney, or extreme weather and storms can all cause masonry damage.
Repairing Your Damaged Chimney
A damaged chimney affects more than just your home’s curb appeal; your fireplace system may not be able to burn safely or effectively if the masonry is damaged. To keep you and your family safe, you should have your masonry repaired as soon as possible. The following are three ways we can repair your damaged masonry.
- Tuckpointing. Tuckpointing carefully removes damaged bricks and mortar before replacing it with new, undamaged masonry. During tuckpointing, the new mortar is mixed to match the specific color and texture of your existing chimney for a seamless finish.
- Crown repair. If the chimney crown is cracked or damaged, water may be getting into your chimney system. Repairing and sealing the crown can fix damage and keep it from returning.
- Fireplace rebuilds. Chimneys that are significantly damaged or have structural problems may need to be rebuilt; we can work with you to create a new fireplace system from the ground up!
Trust ChimneyTEK To Repair Your Masonry Damage!
Masonry damage doesn’t have to leave you and your family out in the cold. Instead, trust the experts at ChimneyTEK to repair your chimney system – and get you back to enjoying your fireplace. Contact us today for more information on how we can repair your masonry or to schedule your next chimney appointment.